School Site Council*
The school site council is a group of teachers, parents, classified employees, and students that works with the principal to develop, review and evaluate school improvement programs and school budgets. The members of the site council are generally elected by their peers.
California Education Code 65000 requires Title I schools to establish a School Site Council (SSC) as the decision-making council for all programs funded through the Consolidated Application (ConApp).
FUNCTION OF SSC: Federal Mandates
To ensure that all federal mandates, including those for parent involvement, are met, specifically:
- The development and approval of the school-level Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy (PFEP).
- The development and approval of the Title I School-Parent Compact.
- The development and approval of the Title I parent involvement budget.
- The proposed expenditures of all categorical funds.
School Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA)
SSC is responsible for developing, reviewing, and approving the SPSA.
Goals and activities described in the SPSA must be aligned to data that will address specific student needs.
SPSA must be evaluated annually.
The SPSA includes:
- Comprehensive Needs Assessment (data analysis and annual SPSA Evaluation)
- Goals and objectives (measurable and based on student data)
- Evidence-based, effective methods and instructional strategies that address student needs
- Process for monitoring
- Functions and Responsibilities of SSC
- Develop, review and adopt the SPSA in consultation with relevant stakeholders and, where applicable, with the ELAC.
- Respond in writing to ELAC’s written recommendations on the SPSA within 30 calendar days or at the next SSC meeting.
- Ensure that all federal parental and family engagement mandates are met.
Convene at least six (6) times per year. These six meetings are in addition to the mandatory orientation and election meetings.
SSC meetings are not to take place during the instructional day in order to allow full participation from parents and staff. SSC meetings are to take place at the end of the instructional day since a before-school meeting will limit the SSC members' time to engage in full discussions of agenda items.
In consultation with SSC officers, the school principal may call additional meetings as needed, especially during budget development.
Please join us for our next School Site Council Meeting this Thursday, September 8th at 4:00 p.m. Come learn how the School Site Council shapes the future of Hami High!
SSC previous updates